Strong winds have again hit Melbourne in recent days, causing havoc for some homeowners. Many roofs have been damaged and now require roof repairs. And with winter not yet over, it’s likely there’s more strong winds and storms are yet to come.
Strong winds can lead to roof repairs for your Melbourne home
The winds we’ve experienced over the past few days certainly aren’t unprecedented, but they have been very strong. Around Melbourne, wind gusts of up to 90 km/h were experienced, while in other parts of Victoria gusts reached a massive 128 km/h. At one stage the wind cut power to Melbourne homes and businesses, affecting over 10,000 people.
As many people found out this week, strong winds can lead to damage to roofs:
- In some cases, the winds have caused entire trees to be uprooted. For large trees that fall on homes, this causes significant damage and costly roof repairs. In some cases entire homes have been damaged.
- The strong winds have also resulted in branches from trees falling on to roofs. While damage will often depend on how big the branch is, at the very least a branch falling on a roof will damage the roofing materials and possibly the roofing structure.
- The strong winds we’ve experienced around Melbourne has also seen roofs being pelted with debris, such as twigs and leaves. While these are unlikely to lead to serious damage, the twigs can potentially crack tiles and any debris can cause blockages in your gutters and downpipes.
- Winds can also loosen and shift roof tiles and lift metal roofing sheets. While the homeowner is unlikely to have noticed this during the strong winds, the next time it rains the damage may become apparent. Cracked tiles, metal roofing sheets that have lifted, broken cement bedding on the ridge caps of tiled roofs, and blocked and overflowing gutters are major causes of roof leaks in Melbourne.
If your roof has been damaged in the recent strong winds, call Oates Roofing Maintenance on 0438 444 259 and we will come to your place as soon as possible. If the matter is urgent, we can install tarps or other temporary seals as a temporary fix, until roof repairs can be carried out.
It’s also worth noting that repair work on roofs due to strong winds, or any other damage caused by storms, may be claimable through your insurance. So, as well as calling Oates, give your insurance company a call to see if you can claim and to get the process started.
Roof repairs in Melbourne is what we do
Conducting roof repairs in Melbourne is one of the main services that Oates Roofing Maintenance provides.
We travel throughout the Melbourne area providing high quality roofing repairs. With over 25 years’ experience, you can trust that your roof is in good hands.
We can fix all types of roofs. From the more common materials such as concrete tiles and metal roofs, through to terracotta tiles, slate and more. We can also undertake all manner of roof repairs, including:
- For tiled roofs, rebedding and repointing bedding, replacing cracked tiles or reinstalling tiles that have moved, cleaning moss and other debris from the roof.
- For metal roof repairs, replacing sheets that have rusted or broken and reinstalling sheets that have lifted.
- Replacing slate tiles that have moved out of place and fixing nails that hold the tiles in place.
- Another common roof repair item is blocked, damaged or rusted gutters and downpipes.
- Fixing a range of issues that can cause your roof to leak.
Roof repairs in Melbourne is not all we do
While roof repairs in Melbourne are a bread and butter item for Oates, it’s far from all we do. In fact, it’s perhaps easier to ask what we don’t do with roofs, than what we do do.
Oates Roofing Maintenance is a one-stop-shop for all roofing services and if there’s an issue with your roof, we’re bound to be able to help. Our other services include:
- Gutter maintenance
- Roof inspections
- Roof leaks
- Roofing maintenance
- Complete roof replacements
- Roof cleaning
- Roof restoration
- Downpipe replacement
- Roofing accessories such as skylights
- Vermin removal
The breadth of our services isn’t the only reason you should consider Oates when you next have a roofing issue. People also choose Oates because our prices are competitive, our people qualified, fully insured and friendly, we’re a family-owned business and we can provide you with a quick quote over the phone.