As we’ve discussed before in our blogs, there comes a time in every roof’s life where a roof replacement on your Melbourne home simply needs to be done. So, if it’s nearing that time for your Melbourne roof, what are you going to replace your old roof with?
There are several options that you can choose when it comes to roof replacement in Melbourne, but steel, and in particular Colorbond, is one of the most popular. Let’s take a closer look at steel roofing and why it’s a great choice for you home.
Advantages of steel or metal roofing
There are several reasons why you should choose a metal roof for your roof replacement project:
- First of all, metal is extremely durable and resilient. It can take virtually anything that the Melbourne weather can throw at it, including rain, hail and smaller debris. Many metal roofing systems have been tested to withstand winds of around 220 kilometres per hour. That’s enough to withstand most cyclones.
- Choose a metal roof to replace the current roof on your Melbourne home and you can expect it to last somewhere between 40 and 70 years. We’re pretty confident that when it’s time to replace your roof again, it will be someone else’s problem!
- Metal roofing is a low maintenance choice and generally requires less maintenance than other roofing materials.
- A little known fact about metal roofing is that it’s energy efficient. This is primarily due to its ability to reflect the sun and the heat, plus its thermal resistance, which can reduce your cooling costs significantly. It’s estimated that a metal roof will reduce energy bills by 10 to 25 per cent.
- Choosing a metal roof to replace the current roof on your Melbourne home is an environmentally-friendly choice. It’s likely your new roof will contain a high percentage of recycled metal. Plus, when your new roof passes its use-by-date, it’s 100% recyclable.
- Metal roofing material is a great choice in fire-prone areas as it’s fire resistant. It will withstand wind-blown embers for longer than many other roofing materials.
- It’s great looking and will stay looking good for many, many years.
Replace your tile roof with metal? Yes you can
Another advantage of choosing metal roofing material is that it is lightweight. For new builds, this means homeowners can save money on engineering and supporting structural costs.
It also means that if you have a roof with clay or concrete tiles, you can replace it with a metal roof as your roof structure will easily be able to cope with the weight of the metal sheets. If you have a home with a metal roof and are considering tiles, it’s likely you’ll need to pay for structural costs before the replacement can take place.
Disadvantages of metal roofing
Perhaps the only disadvantage of metal roofing is that it will be noisier than clay or concrete tiles in heavy rain or hail. Light rain falling on a metal roof is actually serene and a noise that most people love – particularly if your area hasn’t had rain for a while!
Are there any other disadvantages?
- People often believe that metal roofs attract lightning, but this is not the case. Yes, metal is a great conductor of electricity but it doesn’t mean a metal roof attracts lightning. Lightning is more likely to hit surrounding trees, power poles, antennas and other high objects.
- Some people think a roof replacement for your Melbourne home using metal will be more expensive than other options. This again is a myth. While replacing your roof is not a cheap project, choosing metal is roughly the same as most other options. In some cases it can be cheaper.
- You do need to be careful when walking on metal roofs to avoid denting them and they can be slippery when wet. But generally you should leave getting on roofs to the experts (like Oates Roofing Maintenance!).
Is Colorbond the best choice?
Colorbond is not the only choice when it comes to choosing a metal roofing product, it’s just one of the options. Colorbond is simply a brand made from the steel giant, BlueScope. It is a great choice for your metal roof, but it’s not the only one on the market.
The main thing look for when choosing a metal roofing product is to find one that is independently tested to meet strict Australian Standards, and to withstand Australian weather. This will include resistance to scratching, impacts, bending, heat, salt, humidity and fire.
Oates Roofing Maintenance is your best choice for roof replacement on your Melbourne home
One thing that is for sure, if you’re having your Melbourne roof replaced, Oates Roofing Maintenance is your best choice.
We have over 40 years’ experience in roofing in Melbourne – including roof replacement – and can provide you the advice you need to make the right decisions.