One of the side-effects from the COVID-19 pandemic was that more people started spending time improving their homes. While activity has slowed as we’ve returned to our normal lives, DIY is still big business in Melbourne and indeed across Australia.
All well and good, but DIY can have its negatives. As well as dodgy DIY jobs that cost a professional much more to fix than it would have from the beginning, there are also safety implications and the DIY injuries that can result.
So, it’s always wise to consider your abilities and safety before conducting DIY around the home. This certainly applies to roof leaks in Melbourne.
Roof leaks a DIY or professional job?
If the roof of your Melbourne home leaks, should you repair it yourself?
It would be easy for us to say that all roof leaks in Melbourne should be repaired by a professional. After all, fixing leaks in roofs is one of our bread and butter services. However, there are times when DIY makes sense.
- If you do notice a leaky roof, it can be a good idea to investigate the issue yourself. Not all sources of roof leaks are easy to find, but sometimes they are.
- If your roof has tiles, the source could simply be a tile that has moved or cracked. These are things that the average DIYer may be able to fix by simply moving the tile back into position, repairing the crack with sealant or replacing the tile.
- If the roof is leaking due to a blocked gutter or downpipe, you may be able to quickly fix the issue.
There is a qualification that should be made, however, and that is safety. If you don’t have the right equipment (e.g. a good, sturdy ladder), aren’t good with heights or working from ladders, or don’t have the know-how, leave your roof leak to the professionals.
It’s far better to spend a couple of hundred dollars getting your roof leak fixed than end up in hospital or further damaging your roof.
Roof leaks for the professionals
Even if you are a competent DIY warrior, there will be times when you should call in the professionals. It will depend on your experience and knowledge, the tools you have available and your ability to the do the job safely.
As we highlighted in the above section, the sources of roof leaks aren’t always easy to find. A professional will have the experience and knowledge to find the sources of these roof leaks.
Even if you do find the source of the roof leak, there may be times when you are better calling the professionals to fix the problem. For example:
- Flashing and seals around chimneys, skylights and vents in your Melbourne roof are common causes of roof leaks. Re-fitting the flashing or seals, or re-sealing is more advanced than simply replacing a tile.
- Similarly, re-bedding ridge caps on tiled roofs requires the correct materials and knowledge.
- Replacing sections of metal roofing that has rusted or deteriorated.
- Replacing gutters and downpipes that have deteriorated.
Signs of a roof leak
One thing you certainly shouldn’t do is ignore a roof leak, as eventually damage to your home can occur. Here are some signs you should look out for that may indicate a roof leak:
- Water dripping from your ceiling or pool of water on the floor are relatively obvious signs of a roof leak, although there can be other sources, such as a leaking pipe or cooling/heating system.
- Staining on your ceiling or walls. This is due to dirt leaching through to the plasterboard. Don’t try to clean the stains or paint over them as they’ll just return. You need to find the source of the roof leak and fix it.
- Paint bubbles on walls and ceilings, and peeling paint, like staining, are signs that your roof could have a leak.
- Mould or mildew growth can be caused by a variety of issues, including roof leaks.
- It’s not just inside your home. Water spots, staining and bubbling paint on the exterior of your home can be a sign that your roof has a leak.
Oates are the roof leak specialists in Melbourne
Whether you do decide to investigate and fix the roof leak yourself or call in the professionals, as we mentioned above, don’t ignore the signs. Act quickly otherwise a simple, inexpensive fix can soon become a costly job.
When you need professional help to fix roof leaks, call Oates on 0435 695 466. You can also go to our website to submit a quote form.