With the wet and wild weather we’ve been experiencing in Melbourne of late, we are probably all feeling a little shell-shocked. And the same can be said for our roofs! Your roof is your home’s first line of defence from the elements, but that doesn’t mean it’s impervious to the elements. Wind, rain, hail and debris can damage roofs, which is why a thorough inspection of your roof may well be overdue.
Why are roof inspections necessary?
While water dripping on your head, your furniture or your floor may be a clear sign your Melbourne roof needs inspecting – and fixing – not all issues are as obvious as this. Less apparent, but no less urgent, are signs such as:
- Water stains on your ceilings
- Water streaks on your walls
- Mould on your walls, ceilings and other areas of your home
- Bubbling on walls and ceilings
- Water spots, mould, moss or algae on exterior timberwork
These and other signs can all point to an issue with your roof that should be inspected as soon as possible. These are not issues to ignore or leave to another day (or month!). If left unchecked, issues with your roof can lead significant and costly damage. This can include:
- Damage to your plasterboard. Minor damage can be simple to fix, however, over time the damage will become worse and you may need to end up replacing large sections of your plasterboard.
- Worse still, an undetected leak or a leak that goes unfixed for a period of time can cause damage to structural parts of your Melbourne home. A partial roof collapse in these situations is certainly not unheard of.
- Wet timber also creates an ideal environment for termites, which can cause further damage.
- Water leaks can damage floor coverings, curtain, blinds and other fittings in your home.
- More alarming, a water leak that’s left unchecked can damage your home’s electrical system. This can require expensive repairs, but more importantly, can cause a house fire or electrocution.
Put simply, a roof inspection of your Melbourne home can cost you a small outlay, but save you thousands of dollars in the long run. It could even save your home or your life!
Melbourne roof inspections – what does Oates do?
- For metal roofing, we will look for rust and other areas of concern that could be allowing water to enter your home.
- For tiled roofs, we will look for any tiles that may have cracked or moved. We will also inspect all cement bedding under ridge caps and gable tiles, which is a common entry point for water.
- If you have any polycarbonate roofing, we will look for any sheets that are showing signs of brittleness, weathering, incorrect fixing or issues with sealing.
- We’ll look at your valley gutters to make sure they’re doing their job, which is to funnel water to the gutters. Valley gutters can become rusted over time and if blocked will cause a leak.
- We’ll inspect your roof’s dektites and flashings around areas such as chimneys, vents and skylights to makes sure they are in good condition and sealing correctly.
- We’ll check your gutters and downpipes. If you like, we’ll also clean out all leaves, debris and dirt to ensure your gutters won’t overflow.
With a roof inspection of your Melbourne home completed, you can rest easy knowing that your roof will be well equipped to handle the next bout of savage weather. Let’s hope that’s not too soon!
Melbourne roofing inspections not all we do
One of the benefits of using Oates Roofing Maintenance is that roof inspections is not all we do. In fact, it far from all we do:
- If we find leaks in your Melbourne roof, caused by issues with metal roofing, tiles, cement bedding, gutters, downpipes, flashing or anything else, we can fix the issue straight away.
- If your roof is past its best, we can completely replace it or reroof it, or alternatively restore it to its former glory.
- We can replace and clean gutters and downpipes.
- We can completely clean your roof, removing all algae, lichen, moss and other debris. This leaves it looking practically as good as new and helps extend its lifespan.
- We can install skylights and vents, to aid natural light and ventilation.
- We can even evict rats, mice, possums, birds, cats and other animals that have decided to call your home their home!
Really, if it’s to do with roofs, chances are Oates Roofing Maintenance can help you.
Yes, we do roof inspections in Melbourne, but we do a whole lot more as well!