A roof replacement is something you probably don’t want to do. Let’s face it, for those that live in Melbourne, right now we’d rather spend the money on a holiday to a warmer destination! However, there does come a time for every roof where it needs to be replaced.
Is it time for a reroof of your Melbourne home now? What are the signs you should be looking for? Can you simply fix the issues with your current roof instead?
Signs that your Melbourne home needs a roof replacement
Here are the major signs you can look for to determine if it’s time for a reroof:
- The most common sign that your roof could need replacing is water leaks. We’re not talking about the odd leak that’s caused by a crack in a tile or a metal sheet that’s lifted. We’re talking about repeated roof leaks or roof leaks in multiple areas.
- Growth of moss and algae are other signs that it may be time for a reroof. Some growth of moss and other organisms is entirely normal, particularly if you have tree overhang or plenty of shading. This can be cleaned before it causes damage. However, if there’s significant growth or it’s been left unchecked for a long time, a reroof or replacement of sections of the roof may be required.
- If your roof has started to sag, this is a sure sign that something is wrong and urgent attention is required. A common cause is when water leaks have gone unchecked, resulting in damage to the structural elements of your roof. Whatever the cause, you need to fix your roof structure and replace the roof sooner rather than later.
- Another sign that your Melbourne roof needs replacement is simply its age and general appearance. No roofing material lasts forever. Typically you can get between 40 and 50 years, and even a bit more, from your roof if it’s looked after and maintained well. If it’s looking old, bringing down the appearance of your Melbourne home and causing issues, it’s a sure sign it’s past its used-by-date.
- For the last sign, don’t look at your roof, look at your energy bills. We know that everyone’s energy bills are going up lately, but if your energy usage has increased over time it could be because of your roof. The roof plays an important role in insulating your home, preventing hot temperatures outside during summer and keeping heat inside during winter. A roof that’s old and deteriorated simply won’t do as good a job in insulating your home.
Is a reroof required or can I restore it?
One of the great things about completely replacing the roof of your Melbourne home is that it will fix all the issues with your current roof. No more roof leaks or other issues. Plus, you’ll have a roof that looks a million dollars and keeps your home efficiently insulated.
However, reroofing isn’t always required. In some cases you could undertake a roof restoration instead. This can involve, for example, fixing any issues, removing any moss or other organisms and giving your roof a professional clean.
Which is best for your Melbourne home will generally depend on the state of your existing roof and its age. In some cases, trying to restore a roof simply doesn’t make sense as the costs can even surpass the expense of a complete replacement.
Time for roof a change
Another advantage of reroofing your Melbourne home is that it gives you the opportunity to make some changes. For example:
- It can be a good time to add one or more skylights, to increase the amount of natural light entering your home.
- You might also want to add a vent to improve ventilation.
- Whatever the colour of your old roof, you may decide it’s time for a change. The most popular colours are black, white and various shades of grey, but there are many colours you can choose. For example, Colorbond® is available in around 30 colours.
- If you have a tile roof or a roof with another material, you might consider reroofing with a metal roof. Generally you can’t replace a metal roof with tiles, as the roof structure may not be strong enough to support the increased weight.
Oates Roofing are the Melbourne roof replacement specialists
Oates Roofing Maintenance performs a whole host of roofing services in Melbourne, including roof replacements.
With our experience – more than 40 years in roofing – we can advise you on what is best for your home. A reroof, a restoration or simply a few hours work to fix a few issues. We won’t push you in any direction. We’ll simply provide you with the facts so you can make a conscientious decision.
Call Oates on 0435 695 466 or go to our website to submit a quote form.